When it comes to transfer files between MAC to Windows 10, some people might questions on how to do it and whether it is possible. The answer is “Yes, it is possible”. Because I believe that many of you have the need of sharing files between those devices.
There is actually simple ways to share files between MAC and Windows 10 computers you may have not known yet. In here, we aregoing to discuss steps by steps what you can do to transfer files between MAC and Windows 10 computers.
For this purpose, you can use the built in feature available in the MAC and Windows 10. Additionally, there are also some application from outside the device you can also utilize to copy or move files between MAC and Windows 10.
How To Transfer Files From MAC to Windows 10 Computer?
As previously mentioned, actually there is already built in feature that will enable you to perform the files transfer between MAC and Windows 10. Unfortunately, this feature will only work provided that your MAC and Windows 10 are in the same local network.
What if my MAC and Windows 10 computer are not in the same local network? Can I do files sharing between the two devices? This has become frequently asked question, and the answer is “No, you cannot”. Hence, in this kind of situation you can use another ways to do the file transfer. We will discuss those ways later on.
Setting Up MAC’s File Sharing
Before being able to copy or move files between your devices, you have to set the file sharing feature on your MAC device. Please check and follow the recommended steps to set the file sharing feature on your MAC device as below:
- Click on the Apple icon on the left-top bar of your MAC device (please as below)
2. Find the “System Preference” – Choose the “Sharing” like below suggested.
3. Tick the “File Sharing” option to enable it.
4. After pressing the “Option” button as above screenshot, it will take you to the new window as below.
5. Beside the “Share files and folders using SMB” please enable it by clicking the check box.
6. In addition, please also tick the “Share files and folders using AFP”. After that, tick on the checkbox to which user you are willing to transfer or share the files with. (please see below screenshot).
7. The screen will then pop a new window in which you will need to enter the password of the user.
8. Click “done” when below screenshot appear or popping up.
10. You will have to be back to the window of Sharing file. In this section you have to select to which folder or user you want to transfer the files with. For this purpose, please use the Plus and Minus button on the below side from the Shared Folder and Shared User. Please see below screenshot for clearer figure.
In this section, please remember or take a note on the MAC’s IP address as you will need it later on.
How to transfer files from MAC to Windows 10
To be transfer files from your MAC device to Windows 10 computer, you have to open your Windows 10 computer first. After that, follow below steps to access the files in your MAC in order to copy them to your Windows 10 computer.
- Go to the File Explorer on your Windows 10 computer.
- On the File Explorer address bar, please type : \\the IP address of your MAC device. Example: \\192.168.***.***
3. There will be new window popping up asking for you to input the username and password. Enter the username and password the same what is appear in your MAC.
4. You will see the file explorer showing the folder you have been added to share from your MAC. Additionally, it will also show the user added to share the files with from your MAC. At this phase, you will be able to edit, copy and transfer files.
Therefore, if you want to transfer files from your MAC to Windows 10 computer you can just copy and paste the file as is the normal file explorer.
Simple Ways To Copy and Paste Files From Windows 10 to MAC
On the other way after being able to transfer file from MAC to Windows 10 computer, there are several setting you need to do to transfer files from Windows 10 to MAC. For this purpose you will have to do the Set up of the File Sharing on your Windows 10 computer.
Setting up File Sharing on Windows 10 to Transfer Files from Windows 10 to MAC
- Click on the “Windows” icon on the bottom left side of your computer from the home screen. After that, click on the “Setting”.
- Below window will be popping up.
Choose the “Network & Internet” as above picture.
3. After that, see on the lest side. You will see the “Status”. Choose the “Sharing option” to proceed.
4. In this section, you can choose either Private or Public network. It is subject to your current connection type you have. In this phase, it is better to choose the private network considering the security reason during the file transfer process.
5. Click on the “Turn on network discovery” and “File and printer sharing” to activate those options and press the “Save changes” button to confirm the settings.
**NOTE: Please make sure the “Network Discovery” menu is turned On before doing this setting
Further to that, please remember or take not of your Windows IP address for next file transfer need. In order to check the IP address, please follow below steps:
Go to “Setting” – “Network & Internet” – “Wi-Fi” – “Hardware & Properties”.
How to Access Windows Files from MAC
After completing the setting of the “File Sharing” option on your Windows 10 computer, now you are set to transfer files from Windows 10 to MAC. Though, there are several steps you will need to follow in order to make the process flows smoothly.
- Open the “Finder” application from your MAC device.
- Select the “Go” and then “Connect to server” from the Finder’s menu bar.
- After that, please type : smb://[ip address] or smb://[computer name] and press ENTER.
- You will be asked to enter the Windows username and password. Please enter the correct username and password and then click CONNECT.
- Further to that, the Windows files will be presented in the “Shared” of your MAC’s Finder. For file transfer purpose, you do it as in normal Windows computer simply by drag and drop the files.
As currently there are many devices with different platforms, the need of file transfer sometimes becomes a problem. Therefore, with this article it is expected that it will help to solve the problem that might occur when you need to transfer or share files between MAC and Windows 10 device and also vice versa.